Tuesday, October 18, 2016

October 18, 2016

  Last night was momentous!  I got both the eBook and the paperback versions uploaded to Smashwords and CreateSpace respectively.  I still need to hear back from CreateSpace but Smashwords has approved the upload.  I'm wanting it all to be available on the same day, so I have locked the eBook into being published on Thursday.  I'm certain CreateSpace will be ready by then.
  Needless to say, I got the manuscript cleaned up.  I had six pages that were double-check-necessary.  I was glad I did.  One correction I made in the eBook didn't make into the paperback version.  And then I spotted another error ('managed' on the same page three times) on one of the pages so I went back and fixed it in both versions.
  And there was no rewriting done yesterday.
  That's okay.  There's always a lot of hidden work in cleaning up and uploading a manuscript.  I wasn't expecting to get any writing done.
  I'm not planning on much today, either.  I want to go to another website, Bookbaby, where I can get a hardcover copy of my book.  I did the paperback at CreateSpace because of two reasons:  1. I don't have to order any copies for them to work with me and 2. the copies of their books are more affordable.  However, they only do paperback.  I went to Smashwords to do the eBook for two reasons:  1. they upload my book to several different platforms and 2. they don't charge me upfront to do the work.  They do charge per copy sold, but any eBook distributor that I investigated did.  Now, as far as Bookbaby is concerned, not only will they do hardcover, but they'll produce some marketing materials for me.  I could do all of it through Bookbaby, but it would have been more money upfront.  There you go.
  I also need to go to Bowker and register ISBNs for the eBook and the hardcover copy.  I need to make some time and create author's information on Smashwords.  It's not necessary, but some readers like to know the authors so having the information there is good public relations.  I'll need to find something positive to say about myself.  I think most people have difficulty with that.
  Well, I need to go get something done.  Have a wonderful day and I'll check back in tomorrow.

UPDATE:  CreateSpace is approved.  Now to get Bookbaby to the same place and we'll be good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment